Monday, January 19, 2015

Chapter 0

Quick authors note: Hey guys! Here is a draft that was going to be my first chapter of my first "novel". However I didn't like the feel of it and I felt it was too short, but I decided to post it anyway to see what you guys think! Enjoy!!


Chapter one: The Capture
Lucinda's POV

I feel the force of the atmosphere sting as I come closer, and at any moment I will drop from the sky. I can only make it so far until my wings shred, and gravity takes me down. I halt in mid air, this is the limit.  My shoulders ache just fighting not to get my wings ripped away from my body at this distance from it. They will come back, I have enough to come back. My hesitation grows rapidly, and pressure is pushing on my ribs, nearly stopping my breathing. I back away, and gain some control over myself. After I am successful in doing this, I dive. I hit the barrier with a scream. When the pain sears onto my top back, I am sure the scream was mine. It burns my skin, but at the same time, freezes it numb. My wings! Tears float upward off my cheeks, while I plummet down to a place my kind fears of...and it’s name, Earth.

The impact of the ground does no damage to me at all. Just my wings, my beautiful wings are gone! Standing on my feet feels foreign to me.  I manage to lift my weight, and gather the strength to stride, stretching one leg out at a time to push forward. The sun is starting to hide behind the moons providing shelter. I keep my steps going, and even though I have not been walking for long, my legs muscles scream for mercy. That only makes me run. My arms pump hard, and I actually am enjoying the feeling of my exhaustion. Sweat speckles on my forehead, and I let it stay there and clump with other drops of sweat. I knew I would have to find a place to sleep, and soon. Out of the corner of my eye, I see woods to my left. Perfect! I pause only for a moment to change my direction. I sprint wildly toward the trees. Once under the umbrella of their leaves, I choose one that is tall and has welcoming  branches that will wrap around myself with warmth. I swing my throbbing foot onto the lowest branch, and grasp my hand onto a higher one. The harsh bark blisters my palm, but I ignore the pain. I climb the tree high enough to not be seen. My mind runs through what I must do. I run through a lot of things as sleep does not pull me in. I remember this place, as I once lived here, that was before humans were known to us fairies. Before the chaos that the humans caused was too much for even the dark ones to stand and before we were all forced to leave, all except one. Her name is not known, but her kind legendary to us. I am here to collect her and bring her home. Then, I will watch her be killed.
I stay alert a little while longer. Soon, I start to drift off, finally sleep comes and takes me away, and just like many nights before, my sleep is complete darkness. Not a single dream fills my head.
I wake to the sun toasting my face. I use the back of my hand to scrape off the dry drool in the corner of my mouth. After wasting a few minutes of gazing around, making sure no one is around, looking for some action that might as well be me. I leap out of the tree, and land safely like a cat, on my feet. I have watched the one I am after walk with a boy down this street everyday, and so I will snatch her then. I have enough dust to get the boy out of the way, put the girl in a deep sleep so she doesn’t struggle with me, and bring my wings back so I can fly home. I hear the distant drumming of footsteps. She is coming! I duck behind the next closest tree, and wait. My heel gets caught on a twig, and the pressure makes it snap. I hiss a swear under my heavy breath. They are getting closer.
I can sense their features. The girl, tall and muscular, stands closer to the woods. She is around the age of, say 12, maybe younger. She sweeps her long caramel hair onto her shoulder, and looks at the boy with eyes you may see as hazel, but if you really look, they are streaked with the colors of the rainbow. The boy, same age as the girl, had messy black hair, and deep brown eyes. The color so dark, you can barely see his pupil. They walk together scatteredly down the sidewalk. Now, there are only a few feet away from where I am. I can’t wait any longer. I have to do this….now! I pounce from where I stand, and block their path. I dig through my pocket and grab my dust. I pour it onto my hands and let it seep into my flesh.
“Now thats better!” I laugh hoarsely. I can barely tell myself to stop. No one is around to help them! This is just too easy!
The boy wants to say something, but it won’t help. I channel my magic and he disintegrates into the cool air, and the soft wind drifts him away, soon to be stranded miles away from here. By that time, it will be too late.
“What did you do!” She shrieks, then it turns into more of a sob.
“Shhhh.” I cup my hand around her mouth and before she can protest. I cast my spell swifty, and in seconds she is out like a light. The sensation of my wings growing from my gained power  is satisfying, and I now feel complete. I scoop up the girl, and raise into the sky.
“Too easy,” I whisper. I almost pity the girl, for she will never really know her capabilities. Although, we must use that as our advantage, she is easier to kill this way. She is balls up innocently in my arms, but if we don’t kill her now, we dark fairies will never smell the fresh aroma of glory. I can’t feel sorry for her, yet I am afraid I already do.

The rest of my flight is  silent, as there is no one to talk to. In the distance I see the silhouette of my home. Farin.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is so good! I am very impressed.

    Please continue soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! You know, I am thinking of making something with all my pictures of the characters in my stories that I draw, I am not sure what the is exactly. A forum? I would give information on the character as well, and I am not sure if I should. I am a little nervous about sharing my art to the world, as there will be that one person that will say it's bad. I am eleven okay it's not going to be perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing just amazing J. Howel! If this ever gets published (which it probably will) and becomes a movie, call me up and I can act for ya

    ReplyDelete